Golden advice for aspiring film-makers by Akira Kurosawa
‘The most essential thing is the forbearance to face the dull task of writing one word at a time.‘– Honoré de Balzac
1. ALL YOU NEED IS A PAPER AND PEN
- It costs a great deal of money and skills to make films in the current times and is not easily accomplished. If you genuinely want to make films then write screenplays. All you need is a paper and pen.
2. ONE WORD AT A TIME
- The most essential thing is the forbearance to face the dull task of writing one word at a time. The important thing is to have patience, to write one word at a time until you reached the required length. Too many lack that patience. Once you get used to it, you’ll be able to write with no trouble.
3. MAKE THE TEDIOUS TASK OF WRITING YOUR SECOND NATURE
- The tedious task of writing has to become second nature to you. If you sit down and write quietly the whole day, you’ve had written at least 2-3 pages. Even if it’s a struggle, and if you keep at it, you’ll eventually have a couple hundred pages. You need to get used to the task of writing. You must make an effort to learn to regard it not as something painful but a routine.
- Most writers, especially young people, want to get to the end right away. When you go mountain climbing the first thing you’re told is not to look at the peak. But to keep your eyes on the ground as you climb. You must keep climbing patiently one step at a time If you keep looking at the top, you’ll get frustrated. I think it is similar with writing. You need to get used to task of writing. You must make an effort to learn to regard it not as something painful but a routine.
5. DON’T GIVE UP
- If you give up once then that’s it. It’ll become a habit and you’ll give up as soon as it gets hard. write all the way to the end no matter what , until you get to some sort of end.
6. READ BOOKS!
- Unless you have a rich reserve within, you can’t create anything. Creating comes from memory. It’s the source for your creation. You can’t create something out of nothing.
Surely this golden advice for aspiring filmmakers will take the beginners a long way. Check out Akira Kurosawa full filmography here-
For more blogs on Film related stuff visit – https://mind4scape.com/
BREAKING BAD EPISODE 1 OUTLINE- https://mind4scape.com/2018/11/11/breaking-bad-s1-ep-1-outline-breakdown/
Andhadhun screenplay- https://mind4scape.com/2020/04/12/andhadhun-screenplay-pdf-early-draft/
Check out Akira Kurosawa full filmography here-